Featured Post

Now Shipping! Brunswick Stew: A Virginia Tradition & Virginia Barbecue: A History

Brunswick Stew: A Virginia Tradition and Virginia Barbecue: A History  available in stores and at online booksellers now! Virginia B...

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Bacon Powder!


If you are a bacon fan, I'm sure you've had those times when you were eating something and thought that it would be better with bacon. Actually, as a bacon fan, you have probably thought that when eating just about everything. But, how do you wrap bacon around popcorn? How about corn on the cob? What if you wanted bacon on your potato chips? Well, to provide that kind of flexibility with the delicious flavor of bacon, you need bacon powder. Here is how to make it.

According the molecular gastronomy experts, to turn a fat into a powder you need a stabilizer with a very low bulk density that will completely dissolve when added to any aqueous medium. Sounds like a job for N-ZORBIT M (a.k.a. Tapioca Maltodextrin or TM).


According to the manufacturer's directions for turning a fat into a powder using TM, fats should be liquefied, chilled, and mixed with a starting ratio of 60 percent fat to 40 percent TM. Puree together in a Robot Coupe and pass through a tamis for a fluffier powder. OK, I get the idea. I don't have a "Robot Coupe" or a tamis. So, here is what I did to make bacon powder with the tools I have on hand.


1.) First, the 60/40 ratio of TM and fat is a weight ratio not a volume ratio. So, you will need a kitchen scale. It turns out that I needed about 3/4 cup of TM and about 1.5 ounces of bacon fat.


2.) I used a fork to mix the bacon fat into 1/2 cup of TM. I added additional TM as needed until I got a mixture that was about the consistency of a thick biscuit dough. Once well incorporated together, I put the mixture in the refrigerator and let it chill.


3.) Once the mixture was chilled, I pressed it through a fine strainer and, voilĂ , I had bacon powder!

I tried it first on some melon. It tasted like melon with bacon on it. The TM doesn't alter the flavor of the bacon fat. I then tried a little on a toasted tomato sandwich.















The applications for this powder are only limited by your imagination.






No comments:

Post a Comment